Thursday, January 24, 2008

HJC Wind Light

This looks like a great idea I might have to get... Afterall, I'm dork enough to rarely ride without a helmet anyway. Just as well look like a complete and total dork.

Bikes in the Fast Lane - Daily Motorcycle News
Called the HJC Windlight LED Helmet Light, it's a small gizmo that you glue on top of your helmet (any manufacturer, it doesn't have to be HJC). When you start riding your motorcycle, above 40 kph, the wind blows through the Windlight, and powers powerful LED lights. In fact, the faster you go, the more light it emits. There's very little wind drag, since the unit is aerodynamic.


Addendum:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I actually did get one of these. The weather hasn't really been such that I've been able to try it out very much so there may be yet another follow up here at some point but here are my first impresstions:
  • Build quality is decent
  • The LEDs flash which I wasn't expecting
  • The LEDs all face backwards and sideways, so don't expect this to help someone see you head on.
  • The instructions warn the the unit isn't supposed to be used in inclement weather. Now I don't know about you but I don't switch helmets when it rains so... could be that these lights will short out in short order. That would be disappointing.



Here is what it looks like on my helmet.

2 comments:

Cooper said...

That's kewl. I'm going to stick a dozen on the hood of my car...

Ken said...

Hey, Big Cab Daddy, thanks for the post. I'm very interested to see what this thing is really like. If you try it out please let us know. I did see on another blog that someone said the helmet manufacturers frown on this sort of thing because they claim it impairs the helmet's basic function of protecting your head. I'm guessing though that this thing would just snap off when the helmet made contact with the ground.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting enough that I stole your idea and posted it on my own blog, Passes and Canyons Blog. I gave you credit, though, and I linked to you.

Thanks.