Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Motorcycle Thing

As I said last time, I got a motorcycle last spring based on the rationale that if I didn't do it soon, I might never do so. But there was another equally cliched reason that came into play: My wife and I weren't getting along. Getting a motorcycle seemed like a good way to state my independence/defiance. Together the two reasons could be looked at as a way to reassert manhood which seemed to be slipping away. Did it work? Yeah, I think so for the most part. But I'm not sure I can explain how it works. I could paraphrase Jeep and just leave it at, “Its a motorcycle thing.” I guess. There is just something therapeutic and validating about motorcycling and motorcycle ownership. What I've found interesting is that it takes active interaction with your bike to maintain the therapeutic and validating value. I can tell this winter has been hard on both and I can't wait to get back at it. I think this coming winter to better stave off those doldrums I want to be better situated to work on my bike. Not sure whether that will get me the same mojo but I figure it will be worth a try.

No comments: